Many disputes these days are resolved through Alternative Dispute Resolution(ADR) rather than the court system.
Arbitration is one legal technique for the resolution of disputes outside the courts. The parties to a dispute refer it to one or more persons, called the arbitrator or arbiter tribunal. It is a settlement technique in which the third party reviews the case and imposes a decision that is legally binding for both sides.
The process of arbitration is in essence a mini-trial with much less formal rules than a traditional court. The arbitrator is usually an expert in the subject matter under dispute. The American Arbitration Association is the most well-known dispute resolution service in the U.S. and you can find more detailed information on their website.
I offer the following services associated with arbitration, including:
* Counseling regarding the appropriate choice of dispute resolution mechanisms.
* Drafting of proper arbitration and ADR clauses.
* Determination of the appropriate arbitration forum and terms.
* Enforcement of agreements to arbitrate.
* Selection of arbitrators.
* Enforcing or vacating arbitral awards.
Visit my mediation page for more information about the mediation process.